Competition Legal Assistant
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Legal Assistant to join the Competition practice group in the Toronto office.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing and prioritizing correspondence and emails, including drafting responses where suitable and/or redirecting to the appropriate individual for response
- Scheduling and making work-related travel arrangements and ensuring travel tickets, itineraries and all required meeting documents are prepared in advance
- Drafting and preparing speaking engagements
- Maintaining paper and e-filing systems
- Managing a large volume of expenses and performing expense reconciliation
- Opening and closing files
- Docketing and billing
- Extensively managing calendars, triaging requests, ensuring the lawyers are briefed before meetings and that their day is on track and running according to schedule
- Coordinating meetings and events, including developing and distributing agendas, reserving meeting rooms, and preparing, compiling and distributing supporting documents
- Working with various departments (i.e., finance and marketing), as needed
- Liaising with clients regarding invoices, collections and preparation of WIP/AR reports
- Legal Assistant diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two to five years of experience supporting senior legal professionals in a corporate work environment
- Ability to work well under pressure and on deadline in a high-performing environment
- Strong technical proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) is required
- Exceptional (written and verbal) communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong searching abilities (i.e., emails, archives and document management)
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Extremely motivated, eager to learn, adaptable and professional
- Willing to work flexible hours, as required
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your application along with a cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal and administrative professionals. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.