Learning & Development Specialist
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Learning & Development Specialist to join the Human Resources team in the Toronto office.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Professional Development & Learning, this role is involved in all facets of Learning & Development (L&D) from needs analysis and instructional design to facilitation and training. This role supports all personnel from technical to soft skills training to behavioural change management as well as professional development programming for legal personnel.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the broader strategic Professional Development & Learning needs analysis and prioritizing training needs for individuals across all Firm roles
- Facilitating various types of in-class and web-based training sessions, including new hire orientation, software rollouts, monthly refresher training and soft skills training
- Supporting the sourcing, contracting and delivery of externally developed learning programs
- Analyzing and continuously improving user adoption of Firm applications and learning concepts by developing supporting learning material, including reference guides, handouts and FAQs
- Creating e-learning content using Captivate, Camtasia and other applicable software/authoring tools to supplement in-class training and promote a blended learning environment
- Providing desk-side coaching and floor support for major firmwide rollouts or training initiatives as required
- Providing testing support for software rollouts to ensure proper functionality in Blakes environment
- Developing and maintaining curriculum and program calendars
- Supporting the planning and execution of professional development programming for legal personnel
- College or bachelor’s degree in a related field is required
- Minimum of five years of experience in the development, facilitation and delivery of training in a blended learning environment or equivalent experience
- Legal/professional environment experience is considered an asset
- Sound understanding of instructional design principles is considered an asset
- Creative mindset with the assertiveness to voice opinions and make suggestions that will positively impact the learning landscape at Blakes
- Comfortable adjusting presentation style and managing a learning environment for a diverse audience with varying and competing needs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills needed to effectively convey learning content in a polished, tactful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to design, develop and deliver training programs for the Firm’s applications and learning programs and initiatives
- Adaptable, patient and identifies as a change champion
- Working knowledge of Adobe Captivate or other e-learning authoring tools
- Knowledge of Intapp, SharePoint, Nuance, Workshare and eDocs DM
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills when identifying training needs and selecting methodology for training programs and the creation of supporting learning material
- Tech-savvy with demonstrated aptitude to learn and teach how to use technical applications
- Comfortable consulting with department leads and key stakeholders to determine gaps or suggest suitable training options
- Ability to analyze data to identify gaps and trends and ROI of learning programs and make recommendations for improvements
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please submit your application along with a cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.