Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, is currently looking for a Risk Analyst to join the General Counsel’s Office in the Vancouver office.
The preferred hours of work for this position are 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST), with the request to be available for overtime occasionally, as required.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Generating conflict searches and setting up ethical screens in support of the Firm’s risk management strategies
- Applying sound judgement to ensure effective review of conflicts and screen requirements, and knowing when to escalate issues
- Conducting conflict of interest searches according to the Firm’s defined procedures, using the Firm’s conflict and business intake software, Intapp Open
- Conducting corporate research, defining appropriate search parameters, searching multiple databases to identify potential conflicts of interest and other risk issues such as sanctions, and preparing and curating conflict reports for the Firm’s lawyers to review
- Ensuring all relevant matter information is captured, recorded and maintained in the Firm’s databases, in accordance with defined policies and procedures
- Acting as a point of contact when ethical screens should be created, updated or dismantled, using the Firm’s ethical screen software, Intapp Walls
- Drafting and distributing screen memoranda to lawyers and their assistants
- Generating reports relating to ethical screens, including billing and timekeeper reports
- Providing coaching and assistance to legal assistants as needed to ensure compliance with matter opening and screen policies
- Participating in ensuring policies, procedures and database structures are continuously reviewed and modified to meet changing requirements; the scope of initiatives can range from day-to-day small continuous improvements to the development of new tracking and reporting systems
- Supporting key projects and initiatives undertaken by the General Counsel’s Office as required to manage the Firm’s risk, as well as participating in all required clerical and administrative needs for effective functioning of the office
- Performing other duties and work with other departments such as IT and Finance in order to complete projects, as assigned
- Undergraduate diploma or degree required
- Three to five years of professional work experience in a law firm preferred
- Strong research and analytical experience
- Experience with Intapp Walls is considered an asset but not required
- Strong computer skills and demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Customer-service attitude with the ability to handle challenges with tact and diplomacy
- Impeccable organizational and time management skills, and the ability to multi-task
- Sound judgement and decision-making abilities that can be relied on by all levels of management
- Strong relationship-building skills across several departments
- Positive, professional disposition and flexibility to handle regular interruptions and unexpected changes to workflow
- Team player who is willing to assist peers as needed, troubleshoot problems and participate in developing solutions
Anticipated range for this role: $57,850 - $66,550
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your application and include your cover letter and résumé directly to our application portal.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are
At Blakes, we are all about our people. We are committed to not only providing exceptional client experiences, but also fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture for legal professionals and administrative professionals. As a winner of the Canada’s Best Diversity Employers award, as well as the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers award, we know that diversity and inclusion are not simply initiatives on the perimeter of our business — they are the core of our success. We understand the importance of cultivating an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a Firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities and in respect of other protected grounds during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.